Saturday, August 1, 2015

Facebook Request 1: Amazing Socks

Dear Readers,

I like using this blog as a way to properly express my views, beliefs, and opinions on various matters. To get more feedback, I have began asking people on Facebook for ideas to blog on. This is the first installment, and I would like to dedicate it to the suggester, my friend DaneĆ©. She wanted me to talk about how amazing socks are.

I must admit, several different ways to go about this passed through my head. The main think that I thought of was my Father's book, "The Parable of the hand and the glove", just with socks and feet instead. Though, it would be ridiculous of me to go step by step and draw comparisons, so I will just go my own way. If you want to do it yourself, fine, buy the book.

Anyway, there is the basic comparison you use as a missionary, trying to explain about the plan of salvation. The foot is your spirit, it moves and has life, but to go outside, to keep it protected, you put a sock on. Technically you also put on a shoe, but who cares about shoes. Anyway, the sock does not move on its own. It has to have the foot inside to have life. The sock is like your body, and it is your spirit, or foot, that makes it move. The sock also provides comfort and protection. Then, after the day is done, the sock comes off. That would be death. What happens then? The sock is washed, cleaned, and becomes pure and perfect again, and is put back on the foot. That would be the resurrection.

There are so many socks out there, of all shapes and sizes. Each with a purpose: for pleasure to the senses (sight and smell), to relieve pain, and even to keep the foot cool. Let us talk about some of these socks.

There are the casual socks you wear, whether white, or black, but these are sometimes bland. There are some interesting variations of this, like the good for nothing ankle socks. Those things make me feel like my feet are immodest, not to mention the always slide down into the shoe. Though in contrast, there are the knee highs. Let us just thank the counselors from Camp Chippewa from the movie Adam's Family Values. Sadly no picture, so lets look at Abby Sciuto from NCIS.I would even dare to say that stockings, even fishnet stockings are types of socks.

Then there are the neon technicolor ones that suddenly just catch your attention. I had a mission companion that would wear bright green or pink socks on a random day of his week. He would use it as a way to keep a conversation going, just stick his hands in his pockets, pull on his pants legs a little, and Ta Da! But bright socks is not good enough, there are all kinds of designs: stripes, circles, and themes. Some cool ones that I just found while looking at socks are superhero socks, with capes.
There are also socks for medicinal purposes. Like compression socks, which remind me of Giraffe legs, because their leg skin is super tight which keeps their blood from pooling in their legs. They are fun and good to have, but super hard to get on and off. A type of sock, technically, that has really helped me over the years are the ankle support braces. Because I grew up so tall, so fast, my balance has not been the best, thus several sprained ankles over the years. Have a pair of these socks on really does help prevent further damage, though now, my ankles seem to be strong enough to not sprain or twist as easily.

Have you ever done something fun with socks, because there are many activities they can be used for. I remember back in my soccer days, we had to wear these super high socks, because you had to fold them back over the shin guards. I still do not fully understand why. Probably something between hiding weapons between the guard and sock, or the plastic breaking and sharp edges pointing out. Yes, I was very brutal in soccer.

You can hang them up for decorations, like Christmas stockings. This brings me to good old prison justice, filling a sock with batteries or coins to use as a weapon. Less violent, but can be just as painful if you mess up, is sliding on the floor. Good old Tom Cruise Risky Business style. Though, if you have the right kind of carpet, you can also get a nice static charge going by dragging you feet. Then use that electricity to shock people, like you have lightning in your veins!
Then there are sock puppets. When I think of sock puppets, I think of the movie RocketManhttps://youtu.be/kVdGw6gTfDU Where he drives someone complete insane with his sock puppet routine. 

All of these activities can really wear down on your socks. Ever get a hole in your sock that one or two toes pokes out of? It is such a strange felling. Like this little piggy is yelling, "I'm free! I'm free! Dobby's Free!" (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets). Though now days, you don't have to wait for your socks to rot away to this point. You can just get the toes socks, where there is a little pocket for each toe, and they can all be free!
Oddly though, socks don't help much when you stub your toe, indeed they can even kill you... Muh ha ha ha!


I was thinking more of the eleventh episode of House M.D. of season 4, "Frozen". House has compassion on Cate, who is in Antarctica, alone, and sick. She asks if she can keep her socks on because, guess what, it is cold. He allows her, and as it turned out in the end, she broke a toe that then turned into blood poisoning. Not good stuff.

At least a house did not fall on you. Socks do some crazy stuff when that happens...
First wicked witch from Wizard of Oz
I am about out of things to talk about, having to do with socks. So let me finish by talking about how awesome they are. As is very traditional in the Japanese culture, as well as in some homes here in America, you take off your shoes when you enter someone's house. This is to not tract dirt into their home, so you get to be in, guess what, your socks. This is also a sign of respect and holiness. Like when Moses spoke to Jehovah through the burning bush, (Exodus 3:5) and the Lord said, "put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground." Note that He did not say take off the socks from off thy feet... though that might be because he wore sandals and not socks. Anyway, if he did wear socks, I am confident he could keep them on. 

Lastly, these socks are awesome! I hope that you enjoyed this post!

Love,
Jacobugoth

2 comments:

  1. I've seen socks as great hand puppets as well. Any post with my book and Abby in it has got to be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I guess I forgot about those. When I think of sock puppets I think of the movie Rocket Man. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVdGw6gTfDU

      Delete