Monday, August 3, 2015

Facebook Request 2: Duct Tape Tie

Dear Readers,

This shall be a short post, because I do not know how much I can drag the story of my Duct Tape Tie out for. Shout out to (Elder) Charles Farthing for suggesting this on Facebook.

Firstly, I got the idea while I was in Corvallis, MT. I was serving a mission for my Lord Jesus Christ through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was my 4th transfer, so almost my 6th month point. My companion at the time was Elder Hunter. He already had a duct tape tie that and investigator (someone who meets with the missionaries, seeking to learn more about Jesus Christ) made for him. I must admit that I was a little envious, so, the last week before transfers I asked a few of my investigators if they would be willing to make one for me. There was a young lady named Kaylee who said that she would, if I bought the duct tape.

As it turned out, I was then transferred to Lander, WY. From there I mailed a roll of duct tape to her. A few weeks later I received the tie in the mail. I truly think that it is awesome. Of course it is hard to tie, but well worth it. I remember wearing it for Easter Sunday when I was in Eureka, MT because it was my birthday. It was always fun hearing some comments about, wow, I did not realize you were wearing a duct tape tie, it just looks like a silver tie. Amazing some of the things you can get away with.

I have examined it, and I think that I know how she made it. I believe that she first made a kind of skeleton, with the bottom triangle and an inch or so wide strip running through the entire length made of duct tape. After having that, blue print, of sorts, she then re-coated it with the tape, making the tie.

Another fun thing about this tie, is that after you wear it, the places where it was tied become stuck wrinkly. So I roll it up nice and tight, and that removes those problem areas.

I have made some additions to this tie, including a loop by the neck to put the short end through, as well as one lower down so that I can use a tie-buddy and keep it from flapping around.

Lastly, it was the center piece of my second birthday as a missionary. I was companions with Elder Yeske and serving in Deer Lodge, MT. It was our preparation day, but we were snowed in or something. So I made a mantle of ties.


Well, that is the story of my duct tape tie. I still occasionally wear it. If you want to see more pictures from my mission, check out my Facebook Page: Elder Jacob Smithson.

Love,
Jacobugoth

No comments:

Post a Comment